Anybody who knows me knows that I loves me some Bloom County and I loves me some metal. In fact, metal is what initially caught my eye in Bloom County.

I first noticed Bloom County in the funnies when I was an aspiring young cartoonist and a teenage metalhead (I blame my parents) ((No, seriously. When my parents bought me my first walkman they gave me Twisted Sister's Stay Hungry album with it.)) (((Years later they bought me a stereo and a copy of Metallica's ...And Justice For All. It's all their fault. Before that I was listening to Duran Duran, Gowan and other top forty wonders))) and Berkley Breathed (he stopped calling himself Berke when he found out it was slang for female genitalia in the UK) had started the Deathtöngue story arc.

I was excited, to say the least, that a comic strip had a story about a metal band and quickly became enamoured with the comic and all it contained. 

So years later Bloom County still holds a special place in my heart. Years and years later, as an aging metalhead, Disturbed would come out with their interpretation of The Sound of Silence and immediately the above comic came to mind. I think Steve may have missed out on an opportunity.
  

Mr. Breathed was prophetic in some things:


Star Wars: The Unspeakable Prequel, was released in 1999.

But, apparently, Berkley Breathed wasn't able to see the potential of Simon and Garfunkel's catalogue for metal covers.

Billy and the Boinger's loss and Disturbed's gain.

C'est la vie...

~Brother K'Bob 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Ideas and projects.

Oh yeah, that's a strip

Brian Toews Interview with Global News 2004-02-10, Winnipeg Manitoba