And we are on Patreon - SeanGeek

So why did we do it?

As a youngling, I plied my art, certain I would be doing this as a career. I was writing and drawing my own original comic books and man I was good at it.

As all artists do at some point, I started to question my abilities, and the drive required to make it. I was living in a small town, on Canada's East Coast. The logistics of getting to New York from there, getting my work in front of the right set of eyes, of scrounging by until that could happen--- If I got my work in front of the right eyes, was my work good enough?

As I watched my own father struggle to feed his family, I started to wonder if I could make it, hit the big time and work for Marvel or DC. Practicality set in. I really got hung up. In the "regular" world, any one can get a job and if you worked reasonably hard you could get work. I wouldn't get rich but at least I could make some money.

University came around. The drive to create was ever-present. But I took practical courses, going for a practical degree, in the hopes of getting a practical job. I wouldn't be an artist.

I wouldn't be an artist.

Despite everything I had done up to that point --- the hours and hours of creating, writing, drawing --- the research into the stories, studying --- all of this was irrelevant when I decided I wouldn't be seeking a career in art. I was a business major. I was not an artist.

Even though I easily spent less time in school then I had put into my art, the pursuit of the degree immediately ended any thought I would be a true artist.

As I developed a career in Logistics and became pretty darn good at it, I kept up with my art, expanding my knowledge with classes, stretching what I knew and learning more.

As I got some work published, I had the inkling that I maybe I was an artist. That self-doubt crept in: am I good enough for someone to pay for what I love to do?

Now, with some decent podcast numbers, releasing an album with the band Dome, 3 years of the Symka published online, damn it, I am ready. In fact, I am overdo. My art and what I do is good. Some people out there like what I do. I like what I do.

So yes, it is time for Patreon. In fact, it is long overdo. With my brothers-in-arms with me, the Meet The Geeks comic and the Podcast, this is just the next phase folks. There is lots more to come with all this. Come join us for the ride.

https://www.patreon.com/meethegeeks

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh yeah, that's a strip

Brian Toews Interview with Global News 2004-02-10, Winnipeg Manitoba

New Ideas and projects.