Sandra Stewart


Many of you have heard the story of how the Geeks got together, but there is a huge part of that backstory that needs to be told.

Everything that became Meet The Geeks, the SeanGeek podcast, Star Wars The Evil Within --- all of that had it's start with Sandra Stewart.

I met Sandra sometime after I auditioned for Clay's Star Wars The Evil Within film. I had likely gotten in by the skin of my teeth on the audition. And now here I was at a reading surrounded by these professional actors, writers, and Star Wars enthusiasts. I was nervous, out of place, and overwhelmed by what I was getting into.

At some point, I was to meet Clay at his home. And there was Sandra. We spoke as I waited for Clay. In minutes she made me feel at home. She was able to break through the layers of fear and anxiety I had and make me feel worthwhile. I deserved to be on this film.

As the filming schedule was in full effect I visited many more times and really got to know Sandra a lot better. I learned very quickly the following: She had a level of respect and belief for Clay that most mothers could only dream of. She was a force of nature in her support.

She also incredibly generous and kind. To the cast and crew, Sandra looked after us in any way she could.

I don't know if it was just her way, but I felt like Sandra believed in me, too. She was quick to give a hug and offer her support of me. There was nothing preposterous or off-limits. If you needed to talk about anything she was quick to offer her ear. She was there, front and center as I was going through the worst time of my life, and there when I was able to turn it all around. I could see that gleam in her eye when I got through the eye of the hurricane when she said, "You deserve to be happy". She had a knowing smile on her face when I told her I was going to have a baby with Silvy. I felt like she was so proud of me. Like she always knew I could do it.

I was lucky to be able to hear her stories and adventures. She lived an amazing life we all could only dream of. She had done anything and everything she wanted, with no fear. It was that quality I admired the most: Fearlessness.

I can't quite remember when, but at some point it seemed redundant to call her Sandra, or Miz Stewart. I called her mom. It was appropriate. For her belief in me, for her faith in me, for her pride in me, I could call her no less.

I miss you, mom. You were one of a kind.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Ideas and projects.

Oh yeah, that's a strip

MTG... Meet the Geeks? No! Magic the Gathering!