The first of the Throwback Thursdays

Welcome Geeks to the first of the Throwback Thursdays where I (finally) jump on this bandwagon to bring you some history from the far flung past from Generation one of the Geeks.

Aside from Meet the Geeks there was also a single panel comic called The Creative Process. The idea behind it was to show some of the jokes that would'n't make it into the comic but that amused us none-the-less. 

This one, well... it amused me. 

It came from a conversation related to me by a person I'll call Big Gay Rick and his response to an excited question.

Other person: "Guess what I got?" 

BG Rick: "Syphilis?"  

Other person "No."

BG Rick "A puppy!?!"

Of course I had to continue this conversation in my head which ended with "A puppy with syphilis?"

It was funny to me at the time. And to this end I kept trying to find a way to incorporate it into the comic. Unfortunately the other Geek's did'n't understand the humor.

A recently re-discovered script has an example of my attempts to try to incorporate this joke into the strip:

MEET THE GEEKS:

“Moving in”

Splash page with single frame inset on the bottom.

SPLASH PAGE
Matt, Corey Sean and Clay are facing the new house:

Sean:
We should find a name for it…

Matt:
GONDOR!

Clay:
DEATH STAR!

Corey:
COREY’S HOUSE OF SYPHALITIC PUPPIES!

INSET FRAME
Sean, Matt and Clay are looking with disgust at Corey:

Sean:
No, no and seek therapy.

That is the sad truth behind this comic. The plight of a man who knows he's funny but his humor isn't understood by the ignorant, sloth-like masses. At least that's what I tell myself when I cry into my pillow at night. 

You'll also note details on my shoes. Initially I thought to myself, how, without being too obvious, can I illustrate that Corey the Geek is a Klingon fan? The obvious answer, at least to myself, was to give him a pair of shoes with the Klingon horn. I even went so far as to research ways to put these toe-horns on my own shoes so that life would imitate art. 

Again, some ideas look better in thought than in form. 

And in truth that is what this comic illustrates most clearly.

Some ideas look better in your head than on paper. 

But being the plucky artist I am I put it out there for all the world to see. Without context. Which is why it probably elicited more than a few raised eyebrows and "meh"'s from our readers. 

Right. I won't quit my day job.

~Brother K'Bob

“But it is a pipe."
"No, it's not," I said. It's a drawing of a pipe. Get it? All representations of a thing are inherently abstract. It's very clever.”
― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Ideas and projects.

Oh yeah, that's a strip

Brian Toews Interview with Global News 2004-02-10, Winnipeg Manitoba